Foundation Stage (Early Years, Reception)
At Leeming RAF CP School we recognise that all children develop in individual ways, at varying rates. Every child is a competent learner who can be resilient, confident and self assured. All children are given an excellent start in their education through creative and innovative teaching and learning experiences.
The Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) is for children from birth to five years of age. The first year in school, which we call Reception Year, is the final year of the EYFS.
The EYFS is based upon four main principles
- A Unique child
- Positive Relationships
- Enabling Environments
- Learning and Development
All of the requirements set out in the National EYFS documents are in place and all staff adhere to the recommendations.
Our curriculum is dynamic, and topics adapt around the interests of the pupils, and the assessments we make regarding their areas for development. We always ensure that we teach children the core skills as laid out in the above documents and the Early Years Foundation Stage guidance.
Topics are planned to last over a fortnight, and are generated flowing out of the activities, passions and interests of the children in the class.
An example of our curriculum topic overviews can be found by clicking below:
We aim to:
- encourage all children to be independent learners and take responsibility for their own learning
- provide a safe, challenging, stimulating, caring and sharing environment which is sensitive to the needs of all children, including those with special educational needs
- provide opportunities through planned, purposeful play in all areas of learning and development, both inside and outside
- plan opportunities that build upon and extend children’s knowledge, experience and interests, and develop their self-esteem and confidence
- provide a broad, balanced, relevant and creative curriculum that will set in place firm foundations and skills for future learning and development
- challenge all children in their learning and thinking, so that they progress as far as they are able.
- monitor all children’s progress and use this to develop the children further in their learning
- work in partnership with Parents/carers and value their contributions
- HAVE FUN!
Please find further information by downloading booklet below :